Hobart Adult Child Disability Lawyer

Disabled young adults, if they have enough earning history, can apply for SSD benefits for themselves. But sometimes the young adult has only a limited work history, or worked mainly in low-wage jobs. A better course of action then is to apply for benefits as a disabled adult child, on the basis of a parent’s earnings. This is especially true when the disabled adult child has a limited work history or worked primarily in low-wage positions.

Merrillville And Michigan City Disabilities Attorney Joseph Nugent

For an adult to qualify for child disability benefits he or she must satisfy three requirements:

  • Be over 18
  • Have become disabled before the age of 22, and
  • Be eligible for benefits through the work history of an eligible parent

The “parent” can be either a biological parent, adoptive parent, stepparent, adoptive grandparent or grandparent/legal guardian. But the parent must either be deceased or currently receiving Social Security Disability or retirement benefits.

The monthly amount of disability benefits the adult child could receive under the parent’s earnings history could be substantially higher than the amount he or she would receive based on his or her own earnings record.

Our Consultations Are Free (But Our Legal Counsel Is Priceless)

Perhaps you have a disabled child who is not qualified to receive SSD payment. He or she may be eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

If your child already is receiving SSI, SSD may provide greater benefits.

To learn more about adult child disability benefits, contact adult child disability attorney Joseph Nugent of Hobart, Indiana. Call lawyer Joe Nugent at 219-945-9766, or write him using this email form.